Get to know them
What's a clique?
One way to make new friends is to put extra effort into getting to know the new people you meet at school.
Maybe a fellow student just moved into town and doesn't have any friends yet. If you think about how you would you feel if this happened to you, you will get some ideas about how to break the ice.
Here are some tips about how to make new friends at school:
- Ask them questions about themselves.
- Talk about things you enjoy.
- Ask them to play a game or join you in an activity.
- Talk to them about something you have in common, like a teacher or a coach.
There are things you can do to make friends outside of school too. You can join after-school clubs or groups, try karate and gymnastics classes, or join a computer club.
A good friend has opinions you value.
How do you be a good friend?
Now that you've met new friends, the next step is to grow and develop these friendships. One of the most important things you can do to do this is to be a good friend.
Learn what it means to be a good friend so you will form the best friendships that are meaningful and will last.
A good friend:
- Listens without judging
- Stands by you no matter what happens
- Encourages you to do your best
- Gently points out when you might be making a bad decision
- Is trustworthy and reliable
- Has opinions you value
Friends are, or can become, a big part of your life. Special friendships will bring you rewards throughout life.
Click Abe's head for the answer.